Thursday, May 13, 2010

Kool Smiles!



I think I have told everyone that I have talked to in the past weeks - I GOT A JOB!

Ha ha just for fun I thought I would tell you a little bit about it!

I will be working at Kool Smiles! Kool Smiles is a nation-wide (91 offices I believe) chain of dental offices that are built in underserved (i.e. low income) areas. We see mostly kiddos, but we do see adults too. I have to admit - I like the idea seeing kids who probably wouldn't get dental treatment otherwise - teaching is a fun part of being a hygienist!

The office is brand spankin new! It's right off of I-20 on Jewella - by Super One. So the building was already there, but they remodeled it! We saw it today for the first time (they're still working on getting everything set up) and it's AWESOME! if I may say so! I will be the only hygienist initially and the hygiene bay has 6 chairs with the potential for 12 chairs once they hire more dentists and hygienists (and I get an assistant! Woot woot!)

It's been hard being away from my sweet family during the day - and I wish it could be different, but I am very lucky to have this opportunity!

I guess thats all I will bore you with right now!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Hey, do you know if they take Tricare? Paige need a new dentist and we'd love to come see you!!

Debbie said...

You might want to do a bit more research on this company before you go to work for them. Not many last very long. See dentistthemenace.com. These people are horrible!! Want your children abuse, go to a Kool Smiles. Horrible reports from across the country!

Jamon, Meaghan, Molly, and David said...

Cindy - I am pretty sure they take Tricare! I can find out Monday! I would love to see Paige!

Debbie - I worked as a temp hygienist for 5 days in a Kool Smiles office a couple of months ago - and saw nothing but caring people taking care of kid's teeth. To make a general statement like "These people are horrible" is way to general.Each office, dentist, hygienist, and assistant is different. There are terrible private practice dentists out there (I have worked for them) who I would never take my own children too. Everything I have ever seen from that Kool Smiles and learned from training has been positive.

I know what I am getting into - I have worked there and I think it is a company doing a good service for some kids who otherwise wouldn't get the care they need.

Shame on you for thinking you know me or the care I would give a child who came to that office.

Jamon, Meaghan, Molly, and David said...

By the way - I have NEVER restrained a child to clean their teeth or give them any kind of dental care. NEVER.

Being kind and reassuring gets the job done much better.

The people who do these things are the ones that should be held accountable.

Jamon, Meaghan, Molly, and David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.